Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 320i Touring

Administrator

E30 320i Touring

Its probably fair to say I like having a car to work on almost all the time - so here we go again. To get a house purchase across the line last year I parted with my E30 323i and E46 M3, leaving me with the family car - an E90, and my E36. A cheap Saab soon joined the fleet, and the E90 made way for a 118i - which I'm a big fan of it has to be said.

The intention is to eventually replace the Saab with something a lot less practical, but having two sensible cars is now a bit of a requirement, which is a slight issue for me. While several bonkers plans came and went, I started thinking about getting something practical which I could also stick on my classic policy. Mileage isn't an issue for me - combined all our cars currently do less than 10k a year. So the ideal car was something pre-95, which I find interesting, with at least 4 doors. Bearing in mind that one of the reasons I replaced the E90 was that the saloon isn't particularly practical, the focus quickly became finding an E30 Touring.

I would like to have a story of how I searched and searched for the perfect car, or of how I was passing a house and saw it buried in undergrowth - but it was actually surprisingly easy. One message to Dave Gormley asking if he had any tourings available resulted in him telling me I had my choice of two. The one I went for will be well know to a few people - it featured on backroads.ie previously.

Its an Irish car - 1990 - in Diamond black. Being an Irish car, its light on options - has manual windows front and rear, comfort seats but oddly has the rear view mirror map lights and the speaker fader switch (whether or not that switch is actually connected to anything is an entirely different story).

Here are some pics from its original for sale thread -

As you can probably see - its been lowered. Or potentially has no suspension at all. Thats one of the first things to be rectified - am going with my usual combo of Eibach Pro-kit and Bilstein B4's. The Pro-kit has arrived, B4's will be ordered in next month. Also bought a pair of Lemforder front control arms which should be on their way down to Dave at the moment.

There was a substantial amount of work done by Dave for the previous owner -

- Gearbox seals
    - Gearbox guibo bushing
    - Exhaust manifold studs (3 of them were fecked)
    - New battery
    - Sump gasket
    - Gearbox spigot bearing for clutch
    - Service (engine & gearbox & power steering oil, drive belts, air & oil filter, spark plugs, coolant)
    - Water pump & timing
    - Thermostat
    - Cabin fan blower motor
    - Speedo sensor

Essentially all the above work means I have significantly less to do - main things to be done consist of some cosmetics, the suspension, a Tec II kit, some wheels, and a fresh interior. I also want to get electric windows and an OBC fitted - but neither are urgent.

All in all, its a very good base for a project. As usual for me, its likely to be a slow burner though.

Administrator
    Heres a recent pic, so as you can see, very little has changed.

Theres a slight dent on the offside rear quarter - should be fixable with some PDR. Also needs a small bit of paint -

Sunroof skin needs a bit of attention

Bonnet will need some paint too

The engine is definitely staying put though - plenty of power for what I need -

Administrator
    As most people are probably aware, E30's are prone to rusting. Badly. Generally UK cars will be worse than Irish ones, but they all suffer with it, and I have no intention of chasing rust in a car. Dave put the car up on the lift to see what sort of condition it was in - thankfully its a good one.

One small hole here -

And some damage caused by a badly placed jack -

Otherwise its got a clean bill of health

Administrator
    When I did my last E30, I managed to pick up loads of parts for small money - including some gems like a brand new OEM armrest for GBP115. You could basically go on E30Zone or eBay and get whatever you wanted. Seems to be a different story these days - for example the only new armrest I've found is EUR1500, which is obviously stupid money. Likewise the original bodykits have seen their prices go nuts lately, especially if they're complete. BMW sell almost all of the parts still, but as you can guess, they're not cheap. Thankfully I came across a full kit, with mounting clips a well, for what could be deemed to be 'cheap'.

Anyway - bank holidays are designed for this sort of thing - had a 5 hour round trip to collect it yesterday and it seems to be in great condition. It will need to be painted but its one of the main things ticked off the shopping list.

Administrator
    Picked up these wheels for the car a while back. They're BBS RC's, in E36 fitment. So they're not overly dishy, but that doesn't bother me. Will be fitting as wide a tyre as possible to avoid any stretch if possible (probably 215/40/17). Need new bolts and tyres and they'll be off to Wheel Wizards for a refurb. Don't currently plan on a 5 stud conversion - so will be going with adapters.

me likey these wheels a lot

Administrator
    Should be quite a few updates on this from here on in. Full front end suspension has been purchased along with the bilsteins and eibach springs as mentioned before. Am probably going a bit further with the overhaul than originally intended, but only plan on doing this once.

With that in mind, I got a throttle body and inlet manifold to have cleaned up by Michael at vapourblast.ie. If you saw the results on my last E30, you'll know how good these will look when they're finished - but here's a before photo for the moment -

Also got a rocker cover and subframe - these are being powdercoated by Tallaght Powder Coating. Was very happy with the work they did previously. Am going for a similar finish to the M30 rocker cover I had done - dark metallic grey, and the subframe is being done in satin black.

I don't expect these to be the last bits requiring vapour blasting, or powdercoating - but it'll allow the front end of the car to be put together.

Also picked up this Tec 1 steering wheel which has been freshly trimmed. Its not actually for the touring - but for my brother's cabrio which I'm going to start working on now as well. That frees up the 370mm tech 2 steering wheel which is currently in the cabrio - this is going over to Royal Steering Wheels in the UK for a retrim and then into the touring.

Administrator
    Tech 2 wheel is out of the cab - should be on its way to the UK for its retrim next week.

Administrator
    Michael at Vapourblast.ie got back to me today with the finished results on the inlet manifold. He was able to send an in-progress pic too - some people thought the bits he did on the last M30 build had been painted because the finished pieces looked so fresh.

Anyway - so save you scrolling back up, here's the manifold as it was when Michael got it -

Progress pic -

Finished result -

Will be collecting the rocker cover and subframe this week too, and also managed to pick up a few more pieces, so it feels like progress is being made at last, even if the car itself hasn't been touched.

Administrator
    Collected the rocker cover from Tallaght Powder Coating today. Results might be underwhelming to some, but I wanted it to be pretty subtle so am very happy with the results.

Masked it up myself to sand back the raised areas - didn't want any accidents, so went with three layers of masking tape. 120 grit followed by 240, turned out perfect.